Tuesday 30 September 2014

Interview: Lewis Watson

AS well as a music career that includes a top 30 album, Lewis Watson will soon be appearing on the big screen in a film version of John Niven's cult Britpop novel, Kill Your Friends.
It's set in London during 1997, with the British music industry enjoying a winning streak and A&R man Steven Stelfox enjoying the fruits of it, with an expense account, drugs and parties... until he turns to murder.
Watson, aged 21, who grew up in Oxfordshire, joins the likes of Nicholas Hoult and James Corden in the film.
"I think the book is brilliant and when I was approached to do it, I jumped at it," he recalls. "I've never acted before and I'm terrible at it," he adds, laughing.
AS well as a music career that includes a top 30 album, Lewis Watson will soon be appearing on the big screen in a film version of John Niven's cult Britpop novel, Kill Your Friends.
It's set in London during 1997, with the British music industry enjoying a winning streak and A&R man Steven Stelfox enjoying the fruits of it, with an expense account, drugs and parties... until he turns to murder.
Watson, aged 21, who grew up in Oxfordshire, joins the likes of Nicholas Hoult and James Corden in the film.
"I think the book is brilliant and when I was approached to do it, I jumped at it," he recalls. "I've never acted before and I'm terrible at it," he adds, laughing.

"But I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to see the film – and the 30 seconds I'm in it!"

Watson has been steadily building his profile over the past two years, touring heavily and releasing five EPs, all of which have reached the iTunes top ten.
His debut album, The Morning, released in June, went straight into the UK chart at No. 28.
"It's the dream of anybody who loves music to be able to create and play music for a living," says Watson, who started playing the guitar when he was given one for his 16th birthday.
"I never thought it was achievable. I got very lucky because I kept at it."
Ideas for his songs come easily, he says.
"They come from people I've met, songs I've heard, books I've read, because of somebody I've seen crossing the road, or a melody I've heard in a film I watched the night before... it's incredible.
"I think that's what I love so much about music: you go from having nothing to having a song."
Watson plays the Rescue Rooms on Thursday, supported by Nottingham's Amber Run, who are signed to RCA.
It's not Watson's first visit to Nottingham.
"We've been three times already and I've loved every show," he says.
" For some reason, we get a massive response in Nottingham and yet I have no link to the city.
"It's one of my favourite places to play; I always love coming back."
The date is part of his largest tour so far.
"I'm not nervous about it. We did eight tours last year and I love it.
"I think we're stepping it up a bit this time. I've gone a bit bigger with the arrangements and I can't wait for people to hear them.
"A few of the shows have already sold out. Yeah it's amazing," he says.
"Each time we tour we step up the venue size, so for it to be selling out – or very close to selling out – is incredible.
"I'm a very lucky guy."
Lewis Watson plays the Rescue Rooms on Thursday, October 2, 7pm to 10pm, with support from Amber Run, £11, 0845 413 4444, alt-tickets.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment